Thirty-two people present for Old Fashioned Picnic
Quick review done on:
Other events from various organizations were mentioned.
Next meeting is on September 8 (6:00 pm) at Smith Gravel Pit on Sodus Center Road. There will be a $5 p/p charge to cover cost of the food.
Present: Beth Ares, Keith Battle, Pat Battle, Ron Bill, Alice Bill, Deb Brown,
Sandi Hamilton, Pam Heald, Steve Heald, Chris Hopkins, Kari Hopkins, Jim Hopkins,
Jane Hopkins, Michele Kerr, Monica Martinez, Paige Watkins, Belinda McElroy,
Patty Paprocki, Mary Piekunka, Joe Piekunka, Gary Raethka, Diane Raethka,
Joan Stell, Jon Wordingham, Wilma Young, Herm Young, Jennie Sedore, Mary Jane
Mumby, Paul Nortier, Karen Nortier
Treasurer reported $ 3689.87 in checking and all other accounts unchanged from February.
Citizen of the Year
- Nominations still coming in for Citizen of the Year and Milestone. Selection will be made by chamber board of directors on 3/14 and winner announced.
- Paige Watkins has mailed out donation letters and raffle tickets to members
- Each member is asked to sell $20 worth of tickets
- Tickets are 3 chances for $10.00 and single tickets are not available
- If raffle items need to be picked up contact Paige at Sodus Reliant
- Advanced sale dinner tickets are available from Mary Jane or at Fox Law Office
- $30 per person for ham, turkey, pasta alfredo, steamed vegetables etc.
- Banquet to be held at The Heights Restaurant in Sodus Point
Organization Meet and Greet
- Set for May 1 at Wallington Fire Hall, 2 to 4
- Letters have gone out but need help in making sure all groups have been contacted
- Free to participants and the public
Tour for Cure Diabetes Foundation Fund raiser
- Set for June 10 at Wallington Fire Hall
- 800 to 900 cyclists will be using hall for rest stop on the 60 or 100-mile marathon
- Mary Jane to get more information over week end from the coordinator
Post Cards suggested by Mary Piekunka
- Mary Jane and Patty met and decided on 4 different scenes and will order 100 of each.
- Patty will check into getting a rack for the Sodus Point Information booth and we will make that info available to other businesses if they want to purchase one
- Cards will be given away and if merchants want to make a donation to cover our costs that would be good, they can sell or give away as they choose.
- Cards cost us about 25 cents each
- Other cards may be done in the future depending on how these are received.
Open House for Mary Piekunka set for April 24 at Catholic church hall, 2
- Chamber will be partnering with church to give Mary a farewell celebration as she is moving to Webster. Mary Jane to coordinate.
Harvest Fest meeting is set for March 7 at Michele Kerr’s.
- Will be hearing about an antique car show and where to place them.
Meeting was followed by power point presentation given by Todd Ewing, co-owner of CRC Polymer, and also a plant tour. He talked about what is, and isn’t, produced; plans for growth and how pleased he, and his partner Dave Saldo, are with the facility and the area, it suits all their need for the present and the future.
Next regular Chamber meeting will be not until May 5th due to Citizen of Year Banquet* on April 15. The May meeting will be held at Young Sommer Winery (4287 Jersey Rd., Williamson; 315-589-8861) and will be hosted by Sodus Insurance.
*A banquet to honor the Sodus Chamber’s Citizen of the Year will be held on April 15th at The Heights Restaurant, (7030 Bayview Dr., Sodus Point) and the public is invited to attend. Social hour starts at 6:00 pm with hors d'oeuvres (compliments of The Heights) and cash bar. Dinner will be at 7:00 pm with a ham, turkey and Alfredo pasta along with salad and side dishes. Advanced sale tickets (only) are $30.00 per person and will be available at the Fox Law Office (483-6733), or by mailing a check to the Chamber at PO Box 187, Sodus; or by contacting Mary Jane Mumby at 315-483-4067. Deadline for tickets is April 7, 2016.
Present: Chris Hopkins, Kari Hopkins, Jon Wordingham, Monica Sierra, Pat McElroy, Belinda McElroy, Jennie Sedore, Patty Paprocki, Kathie Lessord, Do Lessord, Sandra Hamilton, Michele Kerr, Jim Hopkins, Mary Jane Mumby, Alice Bill, Deborah Brown, Paige Watkins.
Secretary report: Board of Directors minutes were passed around to be read
Treasurer Report: $2288.74 Mural fund
$3439.91 Checking account
$85.00 saving account
$647.00 Harvest Fest account
Discussion held about selling post cards. Patty has checked with accountant and as long as this isn’t our primary money maker its ok. Belinda suggested we sell at our cost to the various businesses who are interested. They can either sell or give away as they choose. Some suggestions for what to put on the cards were orchards, mural, or have many different ones that could be mixed and matched.
Next meeting will be a tour of CRC (old Garlock building on Alling Dr) on March 3 at 6:00 pm. Pizza will be from CJ’s and cost will be $5.00 per person. Need to know attendance by 3/1 to insure enough food and seating. Tour of plant will follow the short meeting. Mary Jane to check on where to park and publish an eblast.
Citizen of the Year Banquet will be held 4/15 at The Heights Restaurant in Sodus Point. Manager Mike Munger was very cooperative and they will be providing complimentary hors d'oeuvres. Advanced sale tickets are $30 per person for ham, turkey, and Alfredo pasta buffet, tickets available at Fox Law Office, sending check to the Chamber or calling Mary Jane Mumby at 483-4067. Nomination posters were handed out and eblast/press release have been sent out.
Harvest Fest meeting is tentatively set for 2/22 with place to be determined.
Don Lessord released his news concerning the purchasing of the Heluva Good plant on Pratt Road. They will be expanding their business into heavy trucks and looking to possibly adding 10 to 20 new jobs. He is also looking for suggestions as to how the Main Street building could be used. Our October meeting will hopefully be at the new location. All present thanked and congratulated Don for this great news.
May 1st the Chamber will host a Meet and Greet for local organizations with an open house at the Wallington fire hall. All the groups will be able to provide information on themselves. Ads will be placed inviting the general public to attend and discover what they each have to offer and how to join them. Letters inviting the different groups will be mailed shortly, for more information contact the chamber via email or call.
June 11 is the Tour for Cure with the Diabetes Foundation. Rest stop will be at Wallington Fire Hall for the 700 to 800 bicyclist completing the 100-mile tour. Chamber will have pictures and member information there.
Remainder of schedule was reviewed: Patty P waiting to hear back from Sodus Insurance for May 5th meeting. June 2 meeting will be at Alton Tabernacle Church in Alton with representative from Liberty Mutual Insurance reviewing their products and benefits to Chamber members. August 4 meeting will be the very popular old fashioned picnic at the Old Lighthouse, this will be a Business After Hours with other groups and chambers invited. Michele is checking with Kay Stone on tour of Smith’s Gravel for Sept 8 meeting. Harvest Fest is set for September 24 on Sodus Village Main Street. As mentioned above, October 6 meeting will be at Lessord’s. The Annual meeting on November 3 will be at Reliant Credit Union with election of officers. And year will be capped off on December 1 with Christmas party at Captain Jacks. All meetings and programs are open to the public and need not be a chamber member. Advanced notice of attendance is important for all meetings to insure seating and food; notification can be done by email or calling Chamber.